The mansion was offered as a reward by wealthy philanthropist Howard Sands during The Battle of the Bands between Jem and The Holograms and The Misfits. After the original Starlight House was accidentally burnt down during a break-in caused by the delinquent Zipper under Eric Raymond's orders, Jerrica and The Holograms were allowed to use the mansion to temporarily house their foster girls until the Battle of the Bands was over. Prior to the contest, The Holograms had to relocate Synergy to the mansion after her previous location at the Starlight Drive-In had become compromised by a private investigator sent by Eric to find out who Jem really was. When the competition was won by Jem and The Holograms, the mansion officially became theirs. Under their ownership, the mansion has served to host several meetings and parties over the course of the series, like those for the production of the Starbright film and Ba Nee's farewell party after her father was found.
The mansion also makes an appearance in the full length feature film, Jem and the Holograms (2015). This time around, the residence is property of Starlight Enterprises, which in turn is owned by Erica Raymond. It is a luxurious two-story building located in Hollywood Hills, surrounded by the vast and diverse vegetation native of the zone.
Departing from the design of its animated series counterpart, on the inside, the residence is richly decorated with antique furniture, giving it a vintage and elegant ambiance, with doors carved in thick oak wood and diverse decorations crafted in iron.
An elegant double-staircase takes visitors from street level to the sumptuous main entrance. The mansion counts with numerous rooms on its second floor, with long and well-illuminated halls to traverse around the house, all of them exquisitely decorated with antiques and with ample and tall windows along them.
- The Starlight Mansion was the second place used to serve as a home for the Starlight Girls.
- According to a Deed of Trust handwritten and signed by Jerrica Benton in the episode Starbright (Part 3), the mansion counts among many other assets with: a garage, servants quarters, a guest house, recording rooms, a swimming pool, changing rooms, an outdoor sauna, a jacuzzi, and a barn.
- Synergy is housed in a hidden room within the mansion.
- Despite it being called Starlight Mansion, it's still called Starlight House in some episodes.
- The mansion was damaged once, in the second episode of the first season, Disaster.
- Throughout the course of the series, the mansion had its aspect modified at least eleven times.
- Jerrica once used the mansion as collateral for Ba Nee's eye operation in the event that she was unable to pay for the surgery. The sum was $250,000.
- The Gabor Mansion acts like The Misfits' counterpart to the Starlight Mansion.
- The mansion is a good distance from the Gabor Mansion; however, both can be seen from each other by the use of binoculars.